Hi there Dr. Irwin, that is your medical faculty classmate! It is a great website and really informative. I’ve a query relating to a advice for an anti-aging cream for very delicate pores and skin. My 32-year-old daughter has reactivity to many formulations of moisturizing/anti-aging lotions, starting from Easy to Estee Lauder. Is there a product that might work for these indications, however but would even be very light on her pores and skin? Any recommendation is appreciated. Greatest regards!
Hello Paula. Good to listen to from you and thanks, you made my day! Listed here are some ideas. My daughter, now 23, has actually delicate pores and skin additionally, and has that gene (atopic) that codes for allergic reactions, bronchial asthma, eczema and hay fever. Often in a household, not each individual has all of these (thank god)! It’s extra that one individual could have bronchial asthma, one other eczema, and one other hay fever and allergic reactions, and so on. “Atopics” are likely to have extra issues with chemical sensitivities to many skincare merchandise, and likewise an inclination towards pores and skin staph infections.
However not each individual with delicate pores and skin is “atopic.” And, right here’s the true downside: we don’t have definition for delicate pores and skin. Typically how I attempt to get a deal with on it’s to ask, “Have you’ve gotten reactions to three or extra skincare merchandise over the previous 10 years?” Individuals normally can reply that, and it’s a really sensible definition.
New MadisonMD product line
I made a decision to create an antiaging line that might be freed from many of the irritating chemical compounds, together with propylene glycol, most fragrances, lanolin, parabens, formaldehyde releasers, and different irritating chemical compounds. The objective was to make these nearly as good or higher high quality than manufacturers like SkinCeuticals, and at a extra inexpensive worth level. Search for the primary three merchandise on SkinTour subsequent week.
So what now…when you have delicate pores and skin?
Studying the labels is vital. Right here’s what to keep away from for begin on this.
- Propylene glycol. It’s within the allergen high 20 within the U.S. now. Hexylene glycol and Butylene glycol are NOT allergens as a result of they’re much bigger molecules.
- Most fragrances – Most fragrances in skincare merchandise are synthetics and may trigger allergic reactions.
- Preservatives. Many individuals are actually allergic to parabens and different preservatives. In the event you’re unsure, you possibly can see your dermatologist and ask to be “patch examined” for allergic reactions to those.
- Hydroquinones (2% in OTC merchandise) and (4% in prescription merchandise) are irritating to many individuals. Strive a plant primarily based lightener just like the MadisonMD 5 Level Brightening Serum (on SkinTour later this week).
- Lanolin often known as wool wax alcohol
- An excessive amount of alcohol. A small quantity of those utilized in skincare is okay particularly additional down the listing (much less focus), however within the high 5, it could be irritating.
Hope this helps,
Writer: “Brandith Irwin — www.skintour.com “